Thursday, January 18, 2007

Happy wappy

I conducted my very own research today on the various blog services available. So far, LiveJournal is taking more time than I would like, and Wordpress refused to let me sign up with my hotmail account. (So I had to get gmail. No complaints there; Google rocks everyone's socks.)

Anyway! Wordpress is rather good, speed and all that. Clean and simple. LiveJournal is systematic, but there are way too many steps to take, and the pages take much much MUCH too long to load.

So far, Blogger wins hands down. (I'm still waiting for my LiveJournal page to load properly. No wonder people don't often use this site.) Wordpress deals quite a bit with e-mails, by the way. And Google's unconventional approach in setting up accounts is really fascinating...and soooo convenient! I wanna work in Google in the future!

Hmm....Blogdrive. Let's head there now!

Signing up was easy; they had a systematic approach. Blogdrive has more templates than Blogger - don't talk about LiveJournal, that patience-wringing manifestestation of blogging hell - but they're pretty boring, unfortunately. Or maybe I'm just biased towards my darling Blogger.

Wordpress has pretty cool templates. Mata terbeliak melihat mereka. Cantik sungguh. Better than Blogdrive and LiveJournal. And er...some are better than Blogger's.

Okey dokey, the verdict is up, so head over to these pages to see how they are:

a) Blogdrive
b) LiveJournal
c) Wordpress

Right......so here's my personal report on those three sites, with Blogger as the control item:

1. Blogdrive

Step-by-step sign-up process, rather like Blogger. Boring templates. I like the music/books/stuff recommendation though. Blogdrive is easy to load, though I do wonder how it will be like once I upload photos. It's not too bad overall. But I prefer Blogger to this.

2. LiveJournal

This. Oh this!! The signup process was so lengthy and detailed! Arghhhhh! Nearly screamed over this. And the pages take so long to load! Templates are practically nonexistent (and I'm not handy enough with page layout to design my own). So if you're a new blogger, don't sign up with LiveJournal. You'll be reduced to tears. Head to the other blog-hosting sites instead. *You'll thank me for your sanity.*

3. Wordpress

Here is where Blogger's real rival comes up. The templates are pretty (okay, I happen to be finicky over how my page should look like, so excuse my preoccupation with templates); some are even better than Blogger's neat and classic templates. The signup process here is pretty easy, though like I said before, I was not allowed to sign up with my hotmail account. (I wonder what Wordpress has against hotmail.) Other than that, it's a cool site. It has a few characteristics like Blogger: the handy dashboard, the widget drag-and-drop thingy and the layout. I might even blog there in the future, once I tire of my Blogger page. We'll see.

4. Blogger

I took my first step into blogdom with this site. Back then - in those ancient days - I still had to mess around with the HTML to edit my link list and template. Now, everything is simplified and easy peasy since the advent of Beta Blogger. *I wonder if Wordpress copied them or vice versa.* I'll be hanging round with this blog for some time, though Wordpress's templates are already tempting me to head there now.

These are my observations only...if you have any disagreement with the points I have listed, please do comment and try to convince me that the other sites are better than Blogger. (Especially if you're a LiveJournal user. Gah, I do not like that site.)

Have I told you how much I love Blogthings and silly memes?




You Are 26% Evil



A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.

In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.



I'm evil.

You have been warned.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha word press templates are pretty!!

7:04 pm, January 18, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

I'm already tempted to move there!

Hmm...we'll see ;)

10:58 pm, January 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya! I checked out all those sites and honestly, blogger's the best.
Wordpress's really good...if you wouldnt mind paying for it!
You're actually only allowed to edit then preview your template but if you wanna save it, you gotta upgrade your account. So it really is for someone already with a hosted web.
Blogrive is a 'been there done that' thing for me. Its ok really but has a lot of down-time. Hosting pictures arent as easy as Blogger too.
LJ allows some freedom in background editing. Background literally. So i gave that up too. Plus, like you mentioned: reelly slow loading pages.
It'd be fun though to see what you'd be able to do with Wordpress.

10:53 pm, January 20, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hi Ameera!

I'm not too good in designing backgrounds and thingies...so I guess it doesn't really bother me that Wordpress isn't as free as Blogger :P

And I looove Wordpress templates! =D

1:59 pm, January 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home