Monday, December 11, 2006

This Modern Love


That's Bloc Party; they had a song with that title. Ainaa introduced me to this band through her blog...I think.


Anyway, the picture! It's my failed attempt to snap the Twin Towers from somewhere near the Raja Chulan Monorail station. (We didn't get that far the other day!)


Doesn't look right, does it? I guess they'll look like that when you're drunk.


No, I didn't take the picture when I was drunk; the camera kept giving me really bad pictures. Is it my fault that my hands were unsteady?


By the way, do you know how many people are out or will be leaving the country? It's like a mass exodus! How can they survive for so long without eating roti canai or stepping into a mamak stall? Pity, pity.


I found Jostein Gaarder's Maya in Summit's Popular yesterday. I bought the book - some time back - at RM 32.90. Guess how much Popular was selling yesterday?


RM14.90.


Er yeah, I nearly screamed. I think I went all the way to 1U for that book, and that was the only one left. But they had a stack - a stack! - of that book in Popular.


I think I'm going to faint.


And I do so want Rice's 9 now. I still have faith in him!


Cinta, that new local movie has been receiving pretty good reviews, isn't it? Love stories featuring the lives of everyday Malaysians. Pretty good review here.


It got me thinking though. This film only involved adults, and the youngest was probably the story with Sharifah Amani and Pierre Andre. (I might be mistaken; I have not watched the movie yet...) Have Malaysian filmmakers done any movies focusing on relationships among teenagers? Well yes, we have Yasmin Ahmad's Sepet, but I can't think of any movie shown recently.


Maybe - and it's my opinion only lah - we tend to think that teenagers aren't actually serious about relationships; their ideas on love are really puppy-love, the superficial kind, probably influenced by physical attraction (hormones hormones!). But I've heard of stories among my peers and others in which several of them were serious about their relationships, and I have witnessed a few of them myself firsthand.


I can't quite say more, because I don't think I'm mature enough to handle this subject properly. The subject of teenagers being in love is still a subjective topic, and not everyone agrees that we - they - are serious when they start relationships.


And yeah, Malaysian society - parents! - often place utmost importance on studies. Though we might complain and protest that we're mature enough to handle both relationships and studies, most Malaysian parents still disagree that teenagers should get involved with anyone at "this age". And are they right?


Opinions vary according to individuals. (And I'm not telling you mine =)


And to think that in some parts of the world, girls as young as ten are being forced into marriages with boys - or men - they have never met in their lives!


I'm thankful I'm born in this era too, not back then when girls had minimal education and were expected to marry early - usually in their teens - then stay home to cook, clean, please their husbands and pop babies without complaint.


Er...no, I think it'll be a bad time for me to live in. (And you wouldn't be allowed to play football with Qian Yue and the rest, Jessie Cheong!) No rock music! No Muse!


Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!


That wouldn't be living! That would be terrible! A living death!


Lame joke, LAME JOKE!


I like lame jokes, oddly. The kinds that you can laugh to...like Eugene's. And my sister's. And Kenneth's! And Grace's! :P


Shame. I think there's Hershey's chocolate syrup here...somewhere in the house...and of course, ice cream...mmmmmm......


Stop drooling, people.


Adios, amigos. =D


Do you wanna come over, and kill some time?


~ Bloc Party

2 Comments:

Blogger Ainaa said...

To be lost in a forest, to be caught adrift; you've been trying to reach me; you bought me a book.

I think This Modern Love is one of the schwweeeeeeeeetest Bloc Party songs. Other than Tulips (a must download).
Just keep telling me facts and making smile.

4:33 am, December 14, 2006  
Blogger Lynn said...

Ainaa! =D Haven't seen you for some time!

Yeah...I love that song, one of my favourites.

Okey dokey, will go download Tulips. Thanks! :P

1:14 pm, December 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home