(100) Days of autumn
Although it'll be a bit much to wish that long for autumn, cos the weather's been rainy and cold these past few days. And it's only early October - why is it below 10 C???
Anyways, a few things -
Watched (500) Days of Summer today, with a cranky Internet connection and a neighbour who would insist on announcing to the entire house for TWO HOURS, REPEATEDLY AND PERSISTENTLY that Jay-Z has a new album. In which his songs sound the same as the rest I've heard on radio. All right, it might not be all Jay-Z, but hell knows it's bloody irritating when the only thing you can hear are the beats going dum dum dum continuously and indiscreetly.Pergi mampus, celaka. Was supposed to do study for another test on Tuesday, but hey, since my neighbour is obliging enough to drive me up the wall, I watched a movie I've been meaning to instead.
To quote my housemate earlier: "At least you don't hear him having sex."
The point is, sex won't last two freaking hours, and you don't get it every. single. bloody. day. Even during the day when people are supposed to be in class.
God I feel like playing Mika at full blast at the wall with my crappy free speakers. (Thanks for the tip, Chin Lei :) This is making my stress level go sky high.
I know - you think I'm overreacting. The thing is, I can't get away from this. It's my room; I study in my room, and do I have to schedule my study hours around the time when you DON'T decide to blast your music? Hello? BUKAN SEMUA ORANG SUKA MUZIK KAU, TAU TAK. Back home I would sometimes hear my neighbour along the street do some random karaoke sessions - off-key they were too, and always those maudlin sentimental songs - but the thing is, I can shut the door. And though my neighbours used to have this really shrieky washing machine in their backyard that they would turn on at night - usually past 11 too, how nice - at least you can tell when the damn cycle's going to end.
Okay, rant over.
Right - the movie. *And there are spoilers here!*
Watched it because of Zooey Deschanel, ended it half in love with the male lead, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Sort of geeky strange guy that I would like. Adorkable. Heh.
Zooey - Summer here - starts off being the sort of girl that you would like easily, but when she started going "oh but this is casual", and "we're just friends" - I wanted to shake her. You don't lie to the guy who's obviously besotted with you for months and then tell him in the end that you weren't serious. She starts off as the cynic, thinking true love is a lie; Gordon-Levitt's Tom is a romantic who seems to believe in the idea of soulmates. Summer finds her Prince Charming in the end, despite knowing she's being idiotic and hurting Tom, while Tom decides to re-adjust his life and move on. She ends as a romantic; he the cynic.
One line I loved in there - "It's all coincidence". Used to believe in that too, but sometimes it's better to have some faith in the Powers That Be, because wholly believing in the goodness of human nature is depressing. (I'm cynical again.) Not that I'm getting a religious epiphany because of the series of unfortunate events that have happened lately - it's because, when you think about it, there are things that you can't find an explanation to. Can you tell me why you're reading my blog in the first place?
Although karma would be nice. Can't quite agree with "karma is a bitch", cos it's you who made your own luck...I'm going off-tangent.
Anyway, the movie. The point is - the point is - as the narrator said at the beginning: "This is not a love story. It's a story about love." About how stupid people can be; about how people can do things because they want to, not because of you; about the indefinable reasons why things don't turn out the way you want them to all the time. Even after you've done all you can, and waited and planned and risked your - to put it in the same tired cliche - heart to get something you knew wasn't yours in the first place.
And what do you do when that happens?
You do it again.
People are strange; their reasons stranger so.
I'm doing whatever I think I should now, to get what I want - that's another issue entirely, and nothing to do with relationships - but sometimes I, too, hope for that little bit of luck, and for things to get where I want to eventually.
I really, really miss Malaysian weather now. Before you complain - It's so hot here! There cold what! - I'd like to tell you what happens when the weather gets cold.
My skin cracks. Literally. It just splits - it's like a cut - and it bleeds. On bad days, the skin on my knuckles might crack when I write. My face gets dry - there are spots appearing too, dammit - and you go to class with white patches on your cheeks and lips. Oh, and not forgetting the frozen feet and numb fingers. And the wind and the rain and gloomy clouds for days and days and days - no. I'd rather be all sweaty and hot than to suffer this cold. I hate cold, even before I came here. And there's no teh tarik here.
I'm going to sleep.
Anyways, a few things -
Watched (500) Days of Summer today, with a cranky Internet connection and a neighbour who would insist on announcing to the entire house for TWO HOURS, REPEATEDLY AND PERSISTENTLY that Jay-Z has a new album. In which his songs sound the same as the rest I've heard on radio. All right, it might not be all Jay-Z, but hell knows it's bloody irritating when the only thing you can hear are the beats going dum dum dum continuously and indiscreetly.
To quote my housemate earlier: "At least you don't hear him having sex."
The point is, sex won't last two freaking hours, and you don't get it every. single. bloody. day. Even during the day when people are supposed to be in class.
God I feel like playing Mika at full blast at the wall with my crappy free speakers. (Thanks for the tip, Chin Lei :) This is making my stress level go sky high.
I know - you think I'm overreacting. The thing is, I can't get away from this. It's my room; I study in my room, and do I have to schedule my study hours around the time when you DON'T decide to blast your music? Hello? BUKAN SEMUA ORANG SUKA MUZIK KAU, TAU TAK. Back home I would sometimes hear my neighbour along the street do some random karaoke sessions - off-key they were too, and always those maudlin sentimental songs - but the thing is, I can shut the door. And though my neighbours used to have this really shrieky washing machine in their backyard that they would turn on at night - usually past 11 too, how nice - at least you can tell when the damn cycle's going to end.
Okay, rant over.
Right - the movie. *And there are spoilers here!*
Watched it because of Zooey Deschanel, ended it half in love with the male lead, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Sort of geeky strange guy that I would like. Adorkable. Heh.
Zooey - Summer here - starts off being the sort of girl that you would like easily, but when she started going "oh but this is casual", and "we're just friends" - I wanted to shake her. You don't lie to the guy who's obviously besotted with you for months and then tell him in the end that you weren't serious. She starts off as the cynic, thinking true love is a lie; Gordon-Levitt's Tom is a romantic who seems to believe in the idea of soulmates. Summer finds her Prince Charming in the end, despite knowing she's being idiotic and hurting Tom, while Tom decides to re-adjust his life and move on. She ends as a romantic; he the cynic.
One line I loved in there - "It's all coincidence". Used to believe in that too, but sometimes it's better to have some faith in the Powers That Be, because wholly believing in the goodness of human nature is depressing. (I'm cynical again.) Not that I'm getting a religious epiphany because of the series of unfortunate events that have happened lately - it's because, when you think about it, there are things that you can't find an explanation to. Can you tell me why you're reading my blog in the first place?
Although karma would be nice. Can't quite agree with "karma is a bitch", cos it's you who made your own luck...I'm going off-tangent.
Anyway, the movie. The point is - the point is - as the narrator said at the beginning: "This is not a love story. It's a story about love." About how stupid people can be; about how people can do things because they want to, not because of you; about the indefinable reasons why things don't turn out the way you want them to all the time. Even after you've done all you can, and waited and planned and risked your - to put it in the same tired cliche - heart to get something you knew wasn't yours in the first place.
And what do you do when that happens?
You do it again.
People are strange; their reasons stranger so.
I'm doing whatever I think I should now, to get what I want - that's another issue entirely, and nothing to do with relationships - but sometimes I, too, hope for that little bit of luck, and for things to get where I want to eventually.
I really, really miss Malaysian weather now. Before you complain - It's so hot here! There cold what! - I'd like to tell you what happens when the weather gets cold.
My skin cracks. Literally. It just splits - it's like a cut - and it bleeds. On bad days, the skin on my knuckles might crack when I write. My face gets dry - there are spots appearing too, dammit - and you go to class with white patches on your cheeks and lips. Oh, and not forgetting the frozen feet and numb fingers. And the wind and the rain and gloomy clouds for days and days and days - no. I'd rather be all sweaty and hot than to suffer this cold. I hate cold, even before I came here. And there's no teh tarik here.
I'm going to sleep.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home