Sunday, September 13, 2009

How to be a noob reviewer

I like The Resistance. Am still listening to it. And came across this last night - it's very different from Muse, really - so give that a try if you can't take Muse.

Righto. My two cents worth.

I like:

1. Uprising - stomp-stomp-stomp and the choruses of Oi!'s are catchy. Very.

2. Resistance - Mmm, like the contrast of the soft piano and the guitars. Matt's voice is starting to sound like Jonsi.

3. I Belong To You (+ Mon Cœur S'Ouvre à Ta Voix) - awesome bombastic love songs, complete with sappy lyrics, Romantic piano, Matt singing in French (hey, alien language again!) and Matt sounding lovesick. Must be the girlfriend. Or shrooms. I think I just heard...wait...is that a saxophone? *facepalm* This pwns Starlight though. Cos it's weirder.

4. Exogenesis - which is the whole point of this album, and which further reinforces Muse's awesomeness. I can picture Dom trying to playing the drums here - him and his yellow skinnies and lopsided grin, bless him.

The rest:

MK Ultra - the Hysteria in this album. The guitars and the lyrics sound similar to me, anyway.

Undisclosed Desires - electronica-ry. Like Map of the Problematique, but not as heavy. Hmm...might turn out to be another like.

United States of Eurasia - I dunno, I liked Orwell's 1984 (Room 101 was brilliant, so was the whole doublethink thing), but somehow this doesn't work for me. Chopin in the last part aside, I thought it was a bit ridiculous at first. Heh.

Guiding Light - so-so. Neither here nor there; it helps the continuity, but doesn't stand out.

Unnatural Selection - and Matt brings back the organ from Origin of Symmetry at the beginning. Like the guitars, but it's one of those songs that sound like Muse, definitely, but which aren't that memorable. Though, one part sounds like a Japanese anime song thing I heard on DDR. Hehe.

My rating: 8/10. I won't give 10, cos some songs aren't that memorable, and cos some of the lyrics made me go wtf. Yes, well.

Anyway. Got Walter Moers's The City of Dreaming Books online, on Abebooks, for...$1. Without shipping la, but with shipping also it was less than 6 bucks. Hardcover, and in surprisingly good condition too. Saw the paperback one in Borders before I left Malaysia, and it was around RM 50 or so. MPH sells a different edition for this price. Lu siao ah?

Now looking forward to Jamie Cullum's The Pursuit, which should be out soon. Been ages since he released his last album. I have two of his in cassettes. Trufax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home