Monday, October 01, 2007

"I'm a wizard! We can see things that are really there, you know," said Ridcully.

"And in the case of the Bursar, things that aren't there too."

Ah. Terry Pratchett. Writing about the Hogfather. The Hogfather. The Father Christmas of Discworld, an alter universe of our world, with the difference being that the Discworld is, of course, in the shape of a disc - a disc-shaped world, so to speak, as befitting the name (you can't imagine much by imagining the Earth as spherical because that puts me in mind of...maths...mostly) atop four great elephants, which are, in turn, standing on the shell of the Great Turtle, Great A' Tuin, swimming through space on an errand only he knows, goodness knows.

Some people think Great A'Tuin might be female, but then again, perhaps only those lucky enough...I think I've forgotten lah.

One of my favourite books. And like Douglas Adams' genius of a work (which I'm sure some of you beg to differ in opinion from me, but then again, that doesn't stop me from talking about it in nearly every post, d'you notice? And you still read this blog - well mainly read this blog, if you know what I mean - so I guess that's all right with you), it doesn't make sense in certain areas. And in the some areas, it makes sense terribly well.

Ver' logickal, as they may say.

And because I was on Youtube the whole afternoon, I am now going to post a video here which you may or may not watch, depending on your mood, your interest in me, and your grandfather general state of feelings towards me.



Very nice. The sad part is, it's only been aired in the UK. I doubt that anyone's going to show it here.

Talks about belief, gods and Death...in general. I like.



And this is the Death of Rats, being one of my favourite characters in Discworld so far. He's even cuter than Death himself, if that's possible.

I'm also reading the book, which I shouldn't do really, because I still need to finish Pullman's one.

There's even a computer named Hex in the book. Has ram skulls (the equivalent of RAM, of course, though I'm still trying to work out what does RAM actually do. Er yeah, every time you mention "RAM" to me, I'm like "Oh okay", but really, I just know that it's something computery and something which doesn't let you surf the net and do anything else at the same time. Well now you know), honeycombs for long-term memory storage, ants to transfer information and a quill to write with.

And every time it crashes - or encounters a problem it can't solve, it'll go: +++MELON MELON MELON+++ Out of Cheese Error+++ and stuff like that.

Why is it that I always have to tell everyone on my blog what I'm reading?

"I know it sounds stupid, Archchancellor, but we think it might have caught something off the Bursar."

"Daftness, you mean?"

"That's ridiculous, boy!" said the Dean. "Idiocy is not a communicable disease."

Ridcully puffed his pipe.

"I used to think that, too," he said. "Now I'm not so sure. Anyway, you can catch wisdom, can't you?"

"No, you can't," snapped the Dean. "It's not like the flu, Ridcully. Wisdom is...well, instilled."

"We bring students here and hope that they catch wisdom off us, don't we?" said Ridcully.

"Well, metaphorically," said the Dean.

"And if you hang around with a bunch of idiots you're bound to become pretty daft yourself," Ridcully went on.


So what are you still doing here, hmmm?

And which reminds me - I wonder how do they pick those on the Film Censorship Board. I want to be one of them! You get to watch movies for free, give opinions without having your name pinned to it, decide which scenes and movies to ban or censor, give ratings to movies based on what you think people should or shouldn't watch...nice job, that.

Watching Lust, Caution and seeing it rated 18PL, and before that, the snore fest of a Matrix Reloaded (coincidentally, that movie holds the record for making me eat the most popcorn in the shortest time - tells you something, innit, when the popcorn's more fun than what you're watching), and then realising that the LOTR was rated U despite the jolly decapitations and ugly old men with ugly beards and even uglier hats, and urgh, all that kissy-kissy stuff with Aragorn and Arwen...erm by the way, did they actually have to watch all the scenes first?

I'm rambling again. Ver' persykologickal, that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home