Year in review
Listen: I Should Live in Salt - The National
Went to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty the other day, and there was this scene of Ben Stiller's character skateboarding down a winding road to a town about to be buried under tons of volcanic ash, all the way in Iceland. And they were playing Arcade Fire's Wake Up, and I felt like telling someone that I knew the song, but then I realised he wouldn't know and wouldn't understand.
And now about a week later, I remember that I did put this song on my blog before - right here, way back in December 2010 - and I was so hopeful and excited then. I had just graduated; I was going home for good; I was going to get a job and get my papers and go places and be successful and happy and motivated.
But it hasn't been good in 2013, and I don't know if I should hope for much in 2014. I started off 2013 expecting changes - I regret complaining back in January 2013 that nothing had changed - because now there's been so many changes. Good, bad and the ugly.
I'm not apologising for being a negative cynical person. But I know I should change. Mind over matter; life is what you make of it; all that crap.
Anyway, time to review things!
This year I :
1. Went to England
My dad went to his Holy Land, ie. Anfield, Liverpool. I got to go to Oxford as a tourist. It was all good - proper British summer this year, no lie - but the food was meh. And so was customer service. But the buildings were lovely and as much history as you can stand. And I got to see a real model of the alethiometer in the magical books exhibition in Oxford, so my inner geek was satisfied. And the actual plate that gave Alan Garner the idea for The Owl Service and the pages he wrote in, but you don't really care - and this is my blog after all.
2. Realised I can be really, really emotional when it comes to work
But you don't need to know more about this, so we're skipping this.
3. Found a few new favourite authors/series
Like George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones, and Catherynne Valente's Fairyland series. Blood and gore and heartless girls and bitchy scheming little queens. I was talking about both series.
4. Got a new actor to crush over
Benedict Cumberbatch with the weird long horse face and that voice...mmm. Sherlock and Khan and even Smaug, the dragon with the sexiest voice ever.
5. Found new favourite songs:
Like The National's Graceless, Vampire Weekend's Diane Young, Sigur Ros's Dauðalogn, Regina Spektor's Call Them Brothers and a few other not-so-indie songs that you won't bother to listen to.
I don't make resolutions, so I'm not writing any here.
Here's to 2014 bringing more rest and peace and happiness...but it's the year of the Horse, so I'm probably getting my hopes up too high.
Went to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty the other day, and there was this scene of Ben Stiller's character skateboarding down a winding road to a town about to be buried under tons of volcanic ash, all the way in Iceland. And they were playing Arcade Fire's Wake Up, and I felt like telling someone that I knew the song, but then I realised he wouldn't know and wouldn't understand.
And now about a week later, I remember that I did put this song on my blog before - right here, way back in December 2010 - and I was so hopeful and excited then. I had just graduated; I was going home for good; I was going to get a job and get my papers and go places and be successful and happy and motivated.
But it hasn't been good in 2013, and I don't know if I should hope for much in 2014. I started off 2013 expecting changes - I regret complaining back in January 2013 that nothing had changed - because now there's been so many changes. Good, bad and the ugly.
I'm not apologising for being a negative cynical person. But I know I should change. Mind over matter; life is what you make of it; all that crap.
Anyway, time to review things!
This year I :
1. Went to England
My dad went to his Holy Land, ie. Anfield, Liverpool. I got to go to Oxford as a tourist. It was all good - proper British summer this year, no lie - but the food was meh. And so was customer service. But the buildings were lovely and as much history as you can stand. And I got to see a real model of the alethiometer in the magical books exhibition in Oxford, so my inner geek was satisfied. And the actual plate that gave Alan Garner the idea for The Owl Service and the pages he wrote in, but you don't really care - and this is my blog after all.
2. Realised I can be really, really emotional when it comes to work
But you don't need to know more about this, so we're skipping this.
3. Found a few new favourite authors/series
Like George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones, and Catherynne Valente's Fairyland series. Blood and gore and heartless girls and bitchy scheming little queens. I was talking about both series.
4. Got a new actor to crush over
Benedict Cumberbatch with the weird long horse face and that voice...mmm. Sherlock and Khan and even Smaug, the dragon with the sexiest voice ever.
5. Found new favourite songs:
Like The National's Graceless, Vampire Weekend's Diane Young, Sigur Ros's Dauðalogn, Regina Spektor's Call Them Brothers and a few other not-so-indie songs that you won't bother to listen to.
I don't make resolutions, so I'm not writing any here.
Here's to 2014 bringing more rest and peace and happiness...but it's the year of the Horse, so I'm probably getting my hopes up too high.

1 Comments:
Decided to look up your blog on a whim today after eons, and woman have you been writing! Miss you, and hope all is well =)))
CL
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home