The Post Written Out of Boredom
I write this not sitting in the kitchen sink, but beside the bf, who happens to be playing Skyrim.
I'm not sure what happens when blogs die - probably you guys just delete them without telling anyone - or you threaten to shut it down for some time, nobody cares, so you leave it to rot. But blogs die and I'm only writing this because I'm bored and the bf keeps playing Skyrim and not letting me play although I said I wanted to create my own cat character and rob people and kill things and collect weird stuff.
It's been a while since I've felt the want to write, so I didn't write about
a) how Pratchett's latest Snuff was disappointing, and I was so sad I couldn't finish it. Because his books aren't the same anymore
b) how I outgrew Artemis Fowl and when I read the ending of the last book, I wanted to cry YOU LIED!! because This is Not How It Should Be.
c) how I voted for the first time and the feeling that, despite everything that has happened in the past and is still happening now, my plans to migrate to Middle-Earth in the future might fall through after all. The recent events have started me thinking again about Vimes and his hard-boiled egg. Things like Freedom, Truth and Justice, and the subjugation of, make people angry, but it's the small things, like your daily food (eggs included), the things you read and hear out of habit, and your children's future, that make people really angry.
d) I've been gaining weight when working overtime. I'm starting to really feel my age.
e) online games don't have to make sense. The bf just informed me that an enemy was carrying nine torches. How the hell does someone run around with nine torches for no reason?
f) reading Catherynne M. Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in A Ship of Her Own Making. And it's the kind of book I wished I had read when I was younger, but now I'm happy I found it before I got older. And what a heartbreaking villain she has created. Linkies for my future self to read is here.
And like this quote from the book. And the bf is probably rolling his eyes and making that stupid face when he reads it.
There must be blood, the girl thought. There must always be blood. The Green Wind said that, so it must be true. It will be all hard and bloody, but there will be wonders, too, or else why bring me here at all? And it's the wonders I'm after, even if I have to bleed for them.
I wonder about the names people give to objects in fantasy stories. I mean really - The Potion of Minor Stamina, The *insert weird name here* Sword of Cold, the Dens of Darkness or whatever. And all women are sexy seductresses who are really vampires when they're evil, or some hidden warrior princess, and men are macho or wizards.
But then you can't really have the Hero who was Quite Ordinary and Really Not That Exciting, or the Girl who was Just There, so I guess players and readers are happy with the obvious naming system. Unless you name your hero Donburi, which was the name what the bf gave to his Skyrim character when I suggested it to him.
This post was written out of boredom.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home