Sunday, June 25, 2006

My supergargantuan black hole

I am in a selfish, self-indulgent and self-centred mood as I write this, so expect this post to be all about me. *insert evil laughter here (think See Eugene)*

Muse's Supermassive Black Hole is really starting to grow on me...hence the title of this post. Matt Bellamy is a genius when it comes to rock opera...can I hear someone singing 'Ooo...ooo...' in that divinely high voice of his? Besides having such a beautifully eerie voice and an undeniable talent for composing rock anthems, he has a genius (!) for writing songs with sadistic, twisted meanings, for example: 'Now that you know I'm trapped, sense of elation, you'd never dream of, breaking this fixation.' Oh lovely...

Drama rehearsals taking place tomorrow in the Actors Studio Bangsar...cross my fingers and hope for the best - no bust-ups, no arguments and definitely no tempers.

Now, because I'm in such a good mood and feel like torturing you people without mercy or second thoughts...

I shall ramble on about philosophy! Yay!! Feeling excited?

Jean-Paul Satre - a modern philosopher - once talked about the conflict experienced by the individual between his self and society. For example, a student has no motivation or mood to study for SPM, but he forces himself to read the History textbook for 3 hours and tells himself that he has to do so in order to get straight A's - and thereby meet the expectations of his parents, teachers and he himself. He goes through the motions of memorizing and revising with no passion, no interest...and perhaps with no love for History too.

All right, I absolutely, utterly and whole-heartedly detest History; I couldn't resist working that last line in. But the truth is, I feel that I'm being forced to read my textbooks when exams descend upon my cowering, moody head - exams are usually painful, depressing occurrences for me - and they occur way too often, way too often for my liking.

Stress could be the conflict within the individual's self - and that in turn produces anxiety, depression, sleeplessness and general apathy. Okay - that's too drastic...but they do happen, more than half of the time.

Oscar Wilde once said that 'art is the expression of the self', and in a way, I agree with him. The inner, darker side within us gives us the ideas and inspiration to create something - art - and it could be anything: a painting, poetry, an essay, music. You can't quite hide your inner self once you start expressing yourself...try writing an essay - even about roti canai - without giving some of your personal opinions and views. It's not so easy, is it?

By the way, is anybody interested in philosophy here? My first exposure to philosophy - sadly, only Western philosophy - came in the form of that beautiful book by Jostein Gaarder, Sophie's World. I've been trying to read up on more philosophy - get down to the nitty-gritty stuff of philosophy, that is - but so far, I've been unsuccessful. Books on philosophy are limited, and not cheap, mind you.

A few people have asked me about the meaning of the word 'ixaquasa', and here's my interpretation of it: Ixaquasa is the magic which transports images and ideas from the creative space (mind or imagination) to the created space (matter or reality). In a way, it's something like art or inspiration...I had this idea after reading Gaarder's The Solitaire Mystery in which the dwarf pictures on a pack of cards become real, living, thinking beings. Tolkien had huge amounts of ixaquasa, Einstein used this 'magic' to study the physical laws of the Universe, and we use ixaquasa in our daily lives, unconsciously, not realising that our expressions and words are the stuff of our minds and imaginations. (Heck, anything to do with Plato here?)

I plagiarised the idea a bit...so feel free to criticize if you wish. Heavy stuff, people, so sorry for rambling mindlessly...

I recently found a cool site dedicated to Tolkien's Middle-Earth mythology; it's actually an artist's blog, so do check out his - Ted Nasmith's - gallery of paintings based on Tolkien's books. The pictures are really detailed, surreal...those who were interested in that picture of Luthien in the previous post, check out this link to view the complete painting... http://www.tednasmith.com/silmarillion/TN-Luthien.jpg

I would like to say thank you to Chin Lei again for viewing my blog...eh, I'm that blur kan?

Oh yes - and to dearest Chloe Ng who insisted that I write her name in each and every one of my post...well, your name's here - so are you happy now, chelo welo?

By the way, Dan Radcliffe looks hideous in the Order of the Phoenix. His stupid hair!! But let's just hope that Tom Felton will look better than the last movie...is that even possible?

Oh yes, and I've created a new kind of poetry - a po-yem (poyo punya poem). Here's an example of how a po-yem goes:

Tears
she wanted him
he forgot her
she cried pearl-blue tears bitter.
she longed for his
his love, his taste
there was only salt; her tears.
she reached out blind
he pushed her cold
she broken; heart and tears to ice.
she left, she went
drawn by twilight
i heard her sigh; alone now.
I was inspired by the Japanese haiku to create this new expression of art...can I give a name to my new invention? We have haiku - since a Malaysian teen created this new style, can I call it a 'maiku'?
One last thing: Anyone want to blast this poem? Feel free to do so...I shall not be heartbroken, don't you worry.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

Hell, are you that critical?
Didn't you read the first line of the post? i was being deliberately self-indulgent!
someone once said:

'those whom we think beyond notice are those who do what we might never dream.'

i don't think what i'm doing is useless...oh, but that's your opinion anyway.

11:33 pm, June 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing that ever consoles man for the stupid things he does is the praise he always gives himself for doing them. -Wilde-

8:37 pm, June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FleUr once said...

" Both of you should just get hitched and name your child Wilde."

Hahah! Snds like a good idea?
I think I'm gonna face my doom's day anytime now...=)

2:07 pm, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home